viasense – wrong way driver is a system for robust, automatic, video-based, real-time detection of wrong way drivers under difficult outdoor conditions. Usage of existing camera infrastructure at Austrian and European highway operating companies provides for cost efficiency. The reduced number of accidents and deaths caused by wrong way drivers lead to increased human life safety.
The proposed wrong way driver detection system is the first video based solution which gets along with difficult outdoor conditions. The system is able to cope with tremendously varying lighting (day & night, sunny & cloudy) and weather conditions (rain, snow). The video is analyzed robustly for wrong way driver-relevant motion patterns. The solution is able to recognize any types of vehicles in the case of wrong way driving.
The system has been exhaustively tested and optimized in a long term field test at the main traffic control center of ASFiNAG, the Austrian highway operating company.
- 19.4.2010 'Mit Technik gegen Geisterfahrer' (ORF)
- 24.3.2010 Steirische Software erkennt Geisterfahrer in Sekunden (Kleine Zeitung)
- 23.3.2010 Den Geisterfahrer vor die Linse kriegen (Der Standard)
- 3.2.2010 Nominiation to the national award 2009 (Kleine Zeitung) BMVIT National Award Transport 2009, GeMon as nominated project
- 8.12.2009 Video - ORF-Video 'Ideen, die gehen'