JOANNEUM RESEARCH is a professional innovation and technology provider with a track record of 30 years in cutting-edge research at international level. It focuses on applied research and technology development, thus playing a key role in technology and knowledge transfer in Styria.
JOANNEUM RESEARCH actively cooperates with the business and public sectors to generate new innovations and carries out application-oriented research and development projects to promote technology transfer to industry. JOANNEUM RESEARCH is active in the following areas:
MATERIALS – Institute for Surface Technologies and Photonics
HEALTH – Institute for Biomedicine and Health Sciences
DIGITAL – Institute for Information and Communication Technologies
RESOURCES – Institute for Water, Energy and Sustainability
POLICIES – Centre for Economic and Innovation Research
JOANNEUM RESEARCH strengthens its activities as a professional innovation and technology provider with a focus on applied research and technology development.
The focus is on meeting the short and medium-term technology needs of the business sector. The positioning process is supported by wide involvement of our committed research staff, continuous coordination with the Dutch research institution TNO (which holds a 10% interest in JOANNEUM RESEARCH) and especially the support provided by the Province of Styria.
Facts and Figures
As of 05-01-2012
Legal form: Limited liability company (GmbH)
Owner: Province of Styria (90%) , TNO (10%)
Employees: 457 (As of 01-31-2012)
Business activities and strategic position:
Applied research and technological development, technology transfer to business and public administration.
We act as an innovation partner for the business and public sectors by carrying out applied research and technological development in key technologies.
Earnings position 2010/2011: Operating revenue covered 79% of expenses, thus maintaining the high self-financing ratio of JOANNEUM RESEARCH by international standards. The primary aim of JOANNEUM RESEARCH is to strengthen the attractiveness of Styria as a business location, especially by creating qualified job opportunities. The Styrian region accounted for a total of 19% of operating revenue in the 2010/2011 financial year.
JOANNEUM RESEARCH has 5 research units in Graz and Vienna as well as in Leoben, Niklasdorf, Weiz and Hartberg. Close cooperation with the Styrian universities allows us to concentrate on applied research and the needs of our clients.
The primary aim of JOANNEUM RESEARCH is to enhance the attractiveness of Styria as a business location, especially by creating qualified job opportunities.
- JOANNEUM RESEARCH achieves a high level of economic effectiveness and scientific quality with the resources available.
- JOANNEUM RESEARCH subjects its research topics to a constant process of renewal and evaluation.
- JOANNEUM RESEARCH actively promotes know-how transfer to industry and markets the technologies, processes and products developed by its staff.
- JOANNEUM RESEARCH places special emphasis on market observation and on monitoring changes in societal needs.
- JOANNEUM RESEARCH promotes communication and cooperation of its researchers both in-house and with business, public administration, universities, universities of applied sciences and other non-university research institutions in the European Research Area.
- JOANNEUM RESEARCH sees its role as a key node of an international research network with a special focus on the Adria-Alpe-Pannonia region and South-Eastern Europe in general.
- JOANNEUM RESEARCH offers qualified job opportunities. Targeted postgraduate measures are designed to support innovative and committed staff in the development of their technical, social and entrepreneurial qualifications and thus prepare them for management positions in research, industry and administration.
- JOANNEUM RESEARCH enhances its commitment to equal opportunities and advancement of women as an integral part of its corporate policy in terms of increasing the quality of its research and strengthening its economic position.
- JOANNEUM RESEARCH plays a pioneering role in terms of ethics in research and technology within the Austrian non-university research sector and is aware of its role model function and its responsibility towards society.