Active Assisted Living (AAL) and Human Factors
The transformation of society, alterations in its values and, last but not least, the aging population are all factors that explain why the research area related to AAL is considered significant and future-oriented. The needs of the people themselves are central to the areas of Intelligent Assistance and e-inclusion.
Seniors and the Internet
Older people are often excluded from the use of modern technologies such as the Internet or new media, while the younger generations frequently use these to connect with others or share information efficiently. This situation can be addressed in several ways: by simplifying the user interfaces of popular networking platforms and through teaching and training seniors to use such platforms. Both strategies are being pursued by the Intelligent Information Systems research group.
As an example, as part of the project Learn and Network, an internet platform Seniors on the Net was developed to teach the elderly how to network and learn about and practice the use of social media in a safe space. At present, around 280 users have registered - and this number is rising.
Learning for Generations
This platform will be expanded during the currently running project Learning for Generations to include mechanisms of inter-generational learning, and which allows students to interact year-round with seniors. A cooperation with the Kleine Zeitung helps support the sustainability of this approach, and allows the extension of the one-time, annual event "Fit on the PC" that is held in Styrian and Carinthian schools to this new, year-round offer.
Independence for seniors
With the help of the latest technological developments, we give elderly or impaired people some of their autonomy and independence back and, at the same time, increase the subjective well-being of each individual. For this reason, we conduct research and develop innovations that enable a safe, independent life with a focus on living and working, as well as provide additional opportunities for mobility to improve safety and life quality in a familiar home environment.
The basis for this lies in the simplification and age-appropriate, individual support of the activities of daily life. Through the use of intelligent mobile help and navigation systems, the long-term independence of single people - both at home and while travelling - can be assured. The detection of critical events and resulting automatic message sent to a trusted person guarantees that help arrives immediately and lends a sense of security and support to all people involved. At the same time, the use of technological information systems poses no barrier for seniors. The use of the computer, the Internet and social networking platforms can provide opportunities to continue to be fully integrated in society. Support given during the use of information technology is also considered a priority.
Expertise and solutions
The Institute DIGITAL offers its expertise in this context and solutions in the areas
- Intelligent event detection based on acoustic and visual sensors,
- Customized online information systems and new media as well as
- Mobile vision and multi-sensor navigation.
This might interest you:
- RegionAAL - Styrian AAL test region focused in the urban regions of Graz, Leibnitz and Deutschlandsberg
- PLAYTIME - Playful Multimodal Daily Training, Diagnostics and Recommendation System within a Social Network
- AktivDaheim - Playful activation of people with dementia by multimodal training and intelligent interaction
- SenseCity - Basics for the development of positive experience in urban areas for the older adults through innovative AAL scenarios with a focus on sensor technology
- BarLiberty - Barrier-free communication and navigation in public buildings
- Study PotenzialAAL - Pflege
- Learning4Generations - Intergenerational learning between students and seniors around the topics computer, internet and new media
JOANNEUM RESEARCH is founding and board member of AAL AUSTRIA, the Austrian innovation platform for intelligent assistance in daily living.