JOANNEUM RESEARCH Forschungsgesellschaft mbH (JOANNEUM RESEARCH) is a business-oriented leader of innovation and a technology provider. It is linked to a worldwide network and has provided cutting-edge research according to the highest international standards for over thirty years. With a focus on applied research and technology development, JOANNEUM RESEARCH plays a key role in transfer of technology and know-how. Our 2015 established ROBOTICS institute focuses primarily on innovative industrial robotics, human-robot collaboration for innovative production processes as well as on robot safety.
For our location at the Lakeside Science & Technology Park in Klagenfurt, Austria, we are seeking a highly motivated part time (50%, 4 months)
Master’s Thesis student
In modern robotic systems, authentication and authorization of participating nodes is required as well as the integrity and confidentiality of the exchanged data. For this, cryptographic keys and certificates must be distributed and managed in an appropriate way. This includes especially the signing process for public keys by trusted instances and the storage of private keys on secured hardware like trusted platform modules or smart cards. Further, workflows have to be developed to securely update, revoke and destroy cryptographic key material. Due to the fact that flexibility and scalability are highly demanded in many robotic applications, a decentralized approach for the previously described workflows has to be developed.
Depending on your skills and preferences, possible topics include:
- Design and implementation of one of the following concepts:
- Secure storage of cryptographic key material (Smart Cards, Trusted Platform Modules)
- Decentralized key distribution and management
- Usable application of key management workflows
- Background in computer science or information technology
- Strong interest in research and technology development
- Ability to work in a self-organizing team
- Skills in embedded programming and/or high-level languages
- Basic knowledge in system security
- Experience in working with Linux based systems
We offer an attractive, team-oriented environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure. This position is subject to the collective agreement for employees in non-university research and remunerated with a gross salary of € 1.343,00 (38.5 h/week) for master’s thesis students.
We are looking forward to receiving convincing applications via e-mail by firstname.lastname@example.org.