The LIFE Centre for Climate, Energy and Society addresses the key issues related to climate change: How can society cope better with the risks of global warming and how can we minimise the associated economic damage? Will climate change also bring economic opportunities? How can these opportunities be realised? What steps are necessary to guide our society towards a more sustainable development path in order to slow down climate change? All these research issues are closely interrelated with each other and require similar methodological approaches.
The LIFE Centre now enables us to fully exploit these synergies and to pursue a coordinated strategy aimed at creating opportunities from climate change.
LIFE's social mission is:
- to strengthen resilience to climate and weather risks
- to promote the transition to a low-carbon economy/society by 2050
Our aim is to establish a centre of European dimensions by pooling the scientific excellence of the research groups in their four key thematic fields:
- weather and climate risk management,
- future energy systems and lifestyle,
- international climate policy and economics, and
- urban living.